Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Revelation about the Mix Em Up

Hey Everyone,

On the improv front, I'm still working my way through the schools maybe soon I'll be able to try out for teams. We shall see.

Anyways, at the PIT we all had a improv Mix Em Up with great team members. They ended up adding musical house teams to the mix. AWESOME!!!

I jumped on board and worked with the people I've never met.

Here's what I've figured out.

When I work with people I don't know, I tend to match them. This is not necessarily a good thing in my book, but because they are probably doing what works for them. My brain is pretty slow. Honestly, there were times where the speed of my mouth outran my brain and I couldn't believe what I was saying.

I analyzed why this was happening. Was I trying to impress? Was I trying to show off? I think deep down I was trying to keep up. I didn't think my brain would be good enough, so many people said so many things, it was hard to keep track. At that point, listening was hard, because I'm trying to figure out what to say.

Luckily, they were great players and I got a few great yes ands and a few good laughs. I had a great time. But, I play how I play. Improv is kind of a mirror into one self.

Annoyance teaches to take care of yourself. I would rather say, be aware of oneself. Know your feelings, why you are doing what you are doing? Is it out of fear? Is it just out of love?

For mixemups and jams, I find I just need to take a deep breath and have fun. Don't worry. Just enjoy yourself.

You can tell when someone judges another improviser's choices on stage. DON'T BE THAT PERSON! Go with it. It is still playing. SO PLAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment