Monday, November 4, 2013

The Occasional Need for A Break

I remember the first time i heard about improv from a voiceover coach. He's an amazing VO coach and he said, everyone should try improv, BUT watch out, it's kind of like a cult and you'll get sucked in.  People have levels at different places and you talk about it all the time and you'll become one of them. (not a direct quote but you get the point)

Today, I went out to drink with a fellow improviser. He was kind of down on himself because he's been doing improv for so long, he thinks he should be better. The truth is, it's all relative. If you're not having fun, take a break.

I was lucky enough to figure that out before I started disliking improv. You are doing this for FUN!! If you aren't having fun, you shouldn't be doing it. There is too much money and time spent for so little direct payoff OTHER than fun.

I looked at my life after talking to him. It's not a matter if I'm better or not but he seems to think I'm at least on par, skill level with him, so there must be a difference.

Here's my situation. I don't have a job. I do non-union VO work throughout the week and it pays off my rent and my bills and my improv. I don't do a 9-5 job before improv, the whole day is just looking forward to it. Whether performing or in classes, my day works up to it. I also know that this is what I love. The moment it starts becoming not fun..... I take stock and ask myself a few questions.

1) Is it me? Are the stresses of the day getting to me.

2) Am I refusing to have fun?

3) Am I making up excuses NOT to go?

If at anytime I leave a class or rehearsal and  think things are bad, I ask these questions. If it's stress, then I need to take it easy. If for some reason, I'm refusing, I need to take a break from improv for a bit. That's a big one. If I'm blaming or being entitled, I need to take stock and take a break. Live life.

If I am making excuses not to go, then I need to figure out what about that class or team is making me do that. If it's a team thing, then you're probably not the right fit for the team. If you're constantly asking about dues and times and not excited to play, then it's not a good team for you. If it's a class, on the other hand, you're not enjoying improv. Or you picked a bad teacher, in that case, figure out what's important. Improv will always be here. ALWAYS.

Take a break and live life if you need to. But, HAVE FUN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment